CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Butterflies Day 2

Today we talked about where butterflies come from...and how caterpillars turn into butterflies. For some reason writing out steps on a chalk board really makes sense to my kids. It worked really well for how a tree grows too. And even though they can't read, they seem to learn more if I write down the points. I also leave my chalk board on the floor so that they can see it clearly when we sit in front of it, and they can reach it to draw too.
After we learned about butterflies we decided to act it out. Here are my children being chrysalises. (In a cocoon.) They crawled around as caterpillars for while, and then made their cocoons. Then they flew around as butterflies.
Next we made butterfly pencil toppers. I just cut out a butterfly shape from construction paper, and snipped holes in it for the pencil to go through. Then I let them decorate them.

We read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" which is the best book ever! The caterpillar eats and eats until he is so full that he builds his cocoon. In the end he turns into a butterfly of course! I found THIS website with lots of "Very Hungry Caterpillar" ideas.

More books we read:

No comments:

Post a Comment